TRANSLATION OF ST. PETRONIO’S BODY
In 1843 the solemn commemoration took place in Bologna for the centenary of the movement of the head of San Petronio in the basilica dedicated to him. Three days of celebration, from the 26th to the 28th of May, to commemorate the anniversary, but during the celebrations only the role in the translation of Benedict XIV was nominated, while there was almost no mention of Cardinal Pompeo Aldrovandi, who was also a Bolognese man like the Pope, who had the chapel built in which the head of the saint was kept. Forgetfulness that did not please the heirs, but the controversy was appeased and postponed to the bicentennial.
This anniversary unfortunately took second place. It was indeed 1943 and the Second World War was in full swing. Only in 2000 the debate about the saint’s body translation restarted. On October 3rd of that year what remained of San Petronio was moved to the Aldrovandi chapel, rejoining with the head. The operation was simple, because the monks had left St. Stefano, having this church returned under the influence of the curia of Bologna after almost nine centuries of contrasts. The chapel Aldrovandi regained such great prestige thanks to the importance of the relics.