ST. BERNARDINO CHAPEL
Last of the left nave, the eleventh in numerical order, the chapel of San Bernardino, formerly of the Fabbriceria, is famous for the presence of the two sides of the oldest wooden case, built in the ‘400 by Lorenzo da Prato, one of the most famous organ of time: recovered during the restoration work of the instrument, dated 1984, they were there in the same year, after having remained for a long time inside the great organ case.
Painted by Amico Aspertini in 1531, they were filled by the Bolognese painter, in his quick and unprejudiced manner, with life stories of San Petronio: four, to be precise. In order: the consecration, him entering Bologna, the preaching and the miracle of the healed worker.
A quadrilogy of the most important and famous testimonies of the life of the saint. The paintings, despite the centuries-old abandonment, were found in excellent condition, then restored by Piero Tranchina: they also show, un-veildly, the extraordinary inventive power of the painter and his incomparable ability to “destroy” stereotypes, with that his personal genius with a folkloric style.
Between the eleventh chapel and the entrance to the Museum there is also the memory of General Antonio Felice Monti, lieutenant general of the French army of 1738.