ST. BARBARA CHAPEL
The chapel dedicated to Santa Barbara, formerly of the Sedici and then Senate, tenth chapel on the left of the main nave, hosts the canvas dedicated to the saint. The great altarpiece, which represents the martyrdom and glorification of Santa Barbara, by Alessandro Tiarini.
In 1723 the chapel was initially dedicated to Santa Rosalia and for the occasion a marble statue of the saint from Palermo is added on the altar, created by the sculptor Gabriele Brunelli. In the same year the gates and the perspective decoration of the vaults and walls are also realized, in which neo-gothic elements are introduced by the author Gioacchino Pizzoli.
Around the end of the eighteenth century, the subpanel representing the Sacred Heart of Jesus was painted. The work of Ubaldo Bonavicini is adorned with a fine and elegant frame in classic Bolognese late Baroque style.