ARDUINO DEGLI ARIGUZZI
Active in Bologna in the late 1400s, Arduino degli Arriguzzi linked his name to San Petronio in the following century. After the death of Antonio di Vincenzo, architect responsible for the design of the basilica, the works were in fact entrusted to him, who was a very known architect and sculptor in Bologna. It was he, in 1514, who came up with a new and majestic project to complete the basilica, whose wooden model is still preserved in the Museum of San Petronio.
Arriguzzi hypothesized a Latin cross structure, of which the built part would have been the major arm. In addition there were four bell towers and a dome at the intersection of the arms, of similar proportions to that of the Brunelleschi’s in Florence. a Firenze.
Arriguzzi’s desire was never accomplished and his project returned to what it is: a school exercise and a dream of greatness disproportionate to the possibilities of the city. What is certain is that if the arriguzzian project had been executed, we would probably speak today of San Petronio as the largest church in the world with 224 meters in length and 150 in width.
The relationship between Arduino degli Arriguzzi and the Basilica of San Petronio also includes another work commissioned to him: in 1518 the architect was entrusted with the construction of the minor doors of the church, designed by Domenico da Varignana. An assignment that started much criticisam towards the artist, because of his project, apparently never totally appreciated, so that soon after the task passed to his colleague Ercole Seccadenari.